Learning Science Through TheaterΚοινότητας 66 members
The educational activity “Learning Science Through Theater” is an initiative of Science View that is carried out annually in cooperation with variable agents (Faculty of Philosophy, Pedagogy and Psychology of National and Κapodistrian University of Athens, Elliniogermaniki Agogi, Noesis Science Center and Technology Museum and more). Students from all grades (primary school – second grade of high school) are expected to dramatize scientific concepts and knowledge from their school curriculum. The activity was created in the context of the European project CREAT-IT (www.creatit-project.eu) and based on the features of inquiry learning on science related courses (Inquiry Based Science Education), as well as on the pedagogical framework of the European project CREATIONS (http://creations-project.eu/). It is one of the accelerators of the European project Open School for Open Societies (OSOS) (http://www.openschools.eu/) approved and proposed by the Institute for Educational Policy (IEP) as National Coordinator for Greek Schools participating in the project and one of the cases of implementation in Primary Education Schools of the European project Creativity, Art and Science in Primary Education (CASE) (http://www.project-case.eu/).
In 2018, Science View was awarded the EPI2 2018 Award in the category “Awareness Actions & Campaigns” for the action “Learning Science Through Theater“. The EPI2 Awards are organized in the framework of the Athens Science Festival to reward a wide range of communication activities aimed both at the audience interested in the subject and the wider community.
In the context of the activity, students will implement a theatrical performance related to scientific concepts and will learn science in a creative way.
The specific objectives of the activity, which have as a central axis the interdisciplinary interconnection of science with aspects of art, aiming at the enhancement of students’ interest in science, involve both students and teachers.
More specifically, through this activity, students:
- comprehend scientific concepts and phenomena
- develop a spirit of cooperation and teamwork
- participate actively in the negotiation of scientific concepts
- develop creative and critical thinking skills
- participate in dissemination activities and entrepreneurial actions for the promotion and support of their theatrical performance and they will contribute in further bridging school with society
- develop their social and entrepreneurial skills
- create an educational community that will cooperate, exchange opinions, material
Teachers on the other hand:
- are engaged in professional development procedures through their cooperation and the exchange of opinions, ideas and teaching material (either in person or through online learning communities)
- are trained in new methodologies for the teaching of science through training workshops and summer schools
- create an educational community that will cooperate, exchange opinions, material and best practices for science teaching and learning, that will continue after the implementation of the action
- become co-creators of educational material.
You can visit the blog of the community to find useful material for the implementation of Learning Science Through Theater initiative
Watch below the trailer of the LSTT initiative
Click here to see the videos of the performances from the previous years
The Learning Science Through Theater was initiated by Science View in 2014
FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ScienceView-131072153618041/